Friday, March 25, 2011

Week One, Weak One

We have just finished our first full week of canvassing for the spring break. $36,000 worth of books have been sold since we started. And for visual persons, that is about 170 boxes.

Heidi and I were driving east to visit the program in Kentucky when we broke down in Nashville. In view of that we secured lodging at my mother's home nearby while getting the van fixed. Yesterday I was taking a walk from her home and met a lady that invited me to preach at her church tomorrow. It turns out that her daughter was my student five years ago and even sang in Heidi and my wedding. I just got off the phone with that daughter and think that our break-down may have been for her benefit. Wonderful are the ways of God.

Personally, I am thinking that the revival in my own life needs to be more significantly paralleled by a reformation in the same. For one thing, I think I will have to swallow my nervousness and find a kind and honest way to share with several persons (that appear confident of their favor in God's sight) that they are in danger of losing their souls. I have put it off for too long.

For another, I will need to spend more time praying in a kneeling position. I frequently talk to my Father in Heaven as I go about my business, but am persuaded that more truly focussed worship time is in order.

And for another, I will want to find the best way to apply the following statement:

     Every true child of God will be sifted as wheat, and in the sifting process every cherished pleasure which diverts the mind from God must be sacrificed. In many families the mantel shelves, stands, and tables are filled with ornaments and pictures. Albums filled with photographs of the family and their friends are placed where they will attract the attention of visitors. Thus the thoughts, which should be upon God and heavenly interests, are brought down to common things. Is not this a species of idolatry? Should not the money thus spent have been used to bless humanity, to relieve the suffering, to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry? Should it not be placed in the Lord's treasury to advance His cause and build up His kingdom in the earth?  {2SM 317.1} 

Finally, I talked to Heidi today about spicing up our conversation with more heavenly items and less temporal ones. But that will, methinks, require doing more personal evangelism so that we will have more to talk about.

But enough for now. More from the programs soon. We appreciate you all.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Have questions that you would rather ask here and now (than to call or whatsapp, or what ever?). Make a comment and I will try to get back to you within 12 hours.